Friday, January 28, 2011

My Review of Lonestar Sanctuary, by Colleen Coble


Lonestar Sanctuary isn't a new book--in fact, it's the first in a series of at least three. However, I've read books by Colleen Coble before, and I knew she was a great storyteller. So when I saw this book at a discount price, I snapped it up.

My measure of a really enjoyable book is that I keep wanting to read it. If I pick up a book dutifully or grudgingly, as if it were a school assignment, forget it. A book has to keep calling my name, and this one did that.

Lonestar Sanctuary starts out with the immediate realization that the protagonist, Allie, is in grave danger. Someone is out to get her and her little daughter, Betsy, and she has no idea why.

Betsy hasn't spoken since she witnessed a recent tragedy, and Allie has heard that Bluebird Ranch, located in the Texas hill country, could help her little daughter. Coincidentally, it's also the place where Rick Bailey lives--her late husband's army buddy, the man her husband told her to find if she was ever in trouble.

There's a certain predictability to some aspects of the story--it's no surprise that Rick and Allie overcome their initial aversion to each other. However, the suspense heats up with every turned page. The characters are nuanced and real, and you really care what happens to them.

I enjoyed the book very much, especially since I'm originally from Texas and I love stories that are set there. I definitely want to get my hands on the other books in this series.

I'm participating in Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books! Click the icon to find out more.

SatReviewbutton

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...